The algorithm of actions for voters to verify and change their place of voting

The algorithm of actions for voters to verify and change their place of voting

Presidential elections will take place in March 2019 in Ukraine. According to Article 38 of the Constitution of Ukraine and Article 25 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, citizens of Ukraine have the equal right to participate in political life, to freely elect, and to be elected.

The lawyers of the "Uspishna Varta" human rights platform prepared explanations for voters concerning the most frequently asked questions that are asked over the hot line of human rights activists 0 800 204 004, and also via e-mail

Verification of personal information in the electoral register

In order so that on the day of voting every voter is able to vote for the candidate chosen by them, human rights activists recommend to everyone to independently check in advance the existence of their personal information on electoral lists. It is possible to do this in two ways.

1. Verify data online on the official website of the State Register of Voters through the voter's office:

2. Contact the maintenance department of the State Register of Voters that is at one’s place of residence and is located in local self-government bodies:!cm_core.cm_index? option=ext_organ_ved&prejim=3&pmn_id=105

Entering personal information into the electoral register of Ukraine

If a voter’s information isn’t on the lists they have the right to contact the body that maintains the Register at their place of residence on the territory of Ukraine concerning their inclusion in the Register.

In order to complete this procedure a voter must submit a written statement specifying their data, and also to show an identification paper and confirmation of their nationality (the passport of the citizen of Ukraine or a temporary certificate of a citizen of Ukraine), a copy of which needs to be enclosed in the application.

In addition, if necessary, it is possible to specify information about the inability to move independently. In particular, military personnel on conscription service must be granted leave in order to submit such an application.

If the voter is territorially outside of Ukraine, in order to be included in the Register they can contact a foreign diplomatic institution of Ukraine at the place of their residence or stay.

A similar procedure should be completed also if personal information has changed. It is necessary to enclose documents (a copy of documents) confirming these changes with the application.

Voting conditions for the inhabitants of Crimea and Donbass

Citizens of Ukraine whose voting address (place of registration) is on the territory of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, the city of Sevastopol, and venues in the separate districts of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions can contact any department that maintains the Register for the purpose of their inclusion in the Register of Voters or changing their personal information.

Changing the place of voting

As lawyers state, voters, without exception, have the opportunity to change their place of voting in elections, but for this purpose it is necessary to contact the body that maintains the Register of Voters no later than 5 days prior to the day of voting. For this purpose it is necessary to undergo the following procedure:

- Contact the Department of the State Voter Register. For this purpose one should have a passport plus a copy of it and file on site an application for changing one’s place of voting. A sample is available at this link: p=files/legislation/p893_13092012_d2_new.pdf&f=1

- Provide a document confirming the reason for making a change to one’s place of voting (an employment reference, a reference from a place of study, a document confirming the ownership of property or the rental of housing that is at the place where the voter wants to vote, travel documents, a sanatorium permit, a certificate of registration as an internally displaced person, etc.).

IMPORTANT. For internally displaced persons (immigrants) - a passport and an IDP certificate should be enough.

As a reminder, if you have any questions or require legal advice, you can call the hot line of the "Uspishna Varta" human rights platform 0 800 204 004 and also write an e-mail

Ваши гражданские или политические права нарушены? Звоните на телефон горячей линии «Успішна варта» - 0 800 204 004! Поможем!

Similar news